Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well a new year is upon us, and we are ready for it! We just finished kegging off the Halligan, so now we have a cooler full of beer. As for what we are doing for the New Year, Phil, myself and our families are off to the Balsam's in Dixville Notch, NH. It will be both work and fun. I will be giving a beer 101 lecture, on how to brew beer and get into the business, and Phil will be conducting a tasting of many of our finest products. But this leads me to think, I should probably let everyone know how I became a brewer.

Back in college I had the chance to sample some homebrews, as well as help make a batch, this piqued my curiosity. After graduating, I ended up working for a small Environmental Lab in Narragansett, near URI. URI had a program which over two weekends would teach you how to brew. So being the type who would want and education first, I learned to brew. This was back in 1993, so I have been brewing since then. My friends all enjoyed my beer and started talking to me about doing it full time. Well I decided that might be a good thing, but I wanted a brewing education first, and that costs money. After bouncing about, I ended up at a Pharmaceutical company in Massachusetts, where I proceeded to earn the necessary money to pull this off. After 7.5 years (to the day) I quit my job (everyone knew I was quiting, I basically gave a little over 2 year notice) and went to the World Brewing Academy. The WBA is 7 weeks in Chicago at the Siebel Institute followed by 5 weeks in Munich at Doemens Academy. It was one heck of an education. After returning from Germany I was able to be a volunteer Assistant Brewer at Nashoba Brewing in Bolton, MA. I followed this up, about 6 months later as the Assistant Brewer at Pennichuck, soon followed by Head Brewer at Pennichuck. It has been a heck of a ride. The nice thing about being a homebrewer for so many years, is that I have many recipes and ideas that are floating in my head, just waiting to come out. So look for new beers in '09 from all three of us here at the 'Chuck!

Hope everyone has a happy New Year, and talk to you all next year!

Damase

No comments: