Thursday, January 15, 2009

Halligan

The next beer I want to write about is Halligan, our IPA... or as some refer to it our RyePA. Halligan is a rather mild IPA, at only 5.1% alcohol and only 40 IBU. So on the scale of American IPA's it is mild, as they are often a bit more bitter (higher IBU's) and more alcohol content. The goal was to make a nice drinkable IPA, one that would not overwhelm the taste buds after one, and that folks might want a second. To do that we decided to use Rye Malt, this gives a crisp rye flavor, but not too much, we use 15% Rye Malt in the total grain bill. Then we used some English hops (Nugget), German hops (Tettnanger), and for an aroma hop we used an American Hop, Amarillo. Amarillo, it is said, give a slight peach taste, I have not really tasted it, but I do taste the citrus flavors which are characteristic of American hops. Personally, it asked, I will say that Halligan is probably my favorite (OK I am couching terms here, but it is like saying which child is my favorite [if I had children that is]). I like to keep a growler or a bottle at home, just to have it there if I would like a beer.

Next week, another beer...

Damase

No comments: